Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review: Untraceable by S.R.Johannes

Untraceable
Author:S.R. Johannes
Release Date: November 29, 2011
Publisher: Coleman & Stott
The Nature of Grace Book #1
ISBN:  0765328089
ISBN13: 9780765328083
Genre: Young Adult
Review Copy Source: Teen Book Scene Tour

16 year old Grace has lived in the Smokies all her life, patrolling with her forest ranger father who taught her about wildlife, tracking, and wilderness survival.

When her dad goes missing on a routine patrol, Grace refuses to believe he’s dead and fights the town authorities, tribal officials, and nature to find him.

One day, while out tracking clues, Grace is rescued from danger by Mo, a hot guy with an intoxicating accent and a secret. As her feelings between him and her ex-boyfriend get muddled, Grace travels deep into the wilderness to escape and find her father.

Along the way, Grace learns terrible secrets that sever relationships and lives. Soon she’s enmeshed in a web of conspiracy, deception, and murder. And it’s going to take a lot more than a compass and a motorcycle (named Lucifer) for this kick-butting heroine to save everything she loves.

I had a hard time getting into UNTRACEABLE in the beginning. I had a hard time connecting with Grace and figuring out where she was going with all her nature talk and investigating. It is definitely written a little different than the other books I normally read.  After a few chapters I got to know Grace's situation and personality a little better and grew to like her back to nature attitude, the way she doesn't give up on things and the fact that she could take care of herself.

The story ended up getting a little dark and intense, and there are a few cringe worthy moments. The story definitely had a way of throwing the unexpected at you which I enjoyed. Some of the situations seem a bit unbelievable at times but other times you get into the groove and the scenes make more sense and flow a little better. I never guessed who some of the bad guys were as well as getting some of the bad guy guesses completely wrong and it was nice to be surprised at their reveals. By the end I was thoroughly engrossed in the plot and just when I thought the story would would be ending one way Ms Johannes threw in another curve ball at the story. UNTRACEABLE ending with a nice little cliffhanger that makes me want to see what comes of some new information. UNTRACEABLE doesn't have any paranormal or fantasy like situations but It was still a nice read for those looking for a YA novel.

I gave it 3/5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Thanks stacy for the thoughtful review and being on my teen book scene tour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelli, Thanks for coming on UFI. I will be keeping my eyes open for book 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book and gave it a 5 on goodreads. I enjoyed all the elements, particularly the strong female character. Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by =)