Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Early Review: Blood Rights by Kristen Painter

Blood Rights
Author:Kristen Painter
Release Date: October 1, 2011
Publisher: Orbit
House of Comarré Book #1
ISBN:  1841499692
ISBN13: 9781841499697
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Review Copy Source: ARC Swap

The lacy gold mapped her entire body. A finely-wrought filigree of stars, vines, flowers, butterflies, ancient symbols and words ran from her feet, up her legs, over her narrow waist, spanned her chest and finished down her arms to the tips of her fingers.

Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle’s body bears the telltale marks of a comarré—a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the mortal world…and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks.

Now Chrysabelle and Malkolm must work together to stop a plot to merge the mortal and supernatural worlds. If they fail, a chaos unlike anything anyone has ever seen will threaten to reign.

Chrysabelle is a Comarré. A human that was bred to feed the vampire nobility. They pretty much sell there blood rights to the highest bidder. She runs after finding her patron dead and ends up being accused of his murder. She has to prove her innocence to remain free but it turns out that isn't going to be as easy as she wants it to be. Malkom is an outcast vampire who was cursed twice. Once for killing his sire and another time by killing someone after being locked in a dungeon to rot. He wears the names of all his victims on his body and he cant feed from a vein without killing them and then hearing their voices in his head.

I liked the Idea of the Comarré, I loved that they aren't exactly what the vampires that "own" them think they are and that Chrysabelle is fighting to stay free. The whole idea was definitely unique and I want to know more about them and what they do. I enjoyed all of the characters that were aligned with Chrysabelle. Although they all had their reasons for being with her they all were fun to read about and very unique and likable in their own ways. I had no problem connecting to the story and the timeline of events. There was some good action scenes thrown in but not a lot of romance. I was kinda disappointed that nothing really happened between Chrysabelle and Malkolm. There is tons of feelings and hints but nothing really progresses past that. It was frustrating.  There is a lot of things left in the wind by the end of BLOOD RIGHTS that I can not go over without giving away spoilers but I have a ton of questions that I hope are answered in book 2 FLESH AND BLOOD that is thankfully set to release October 25, 2011. 


I gave it 4/5 stars




3 comments:

  1. I've heard great thing about this book, In the end I think I will buy it too ! Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to reading this book! I love the cover too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this about a week ago. Sounds interesting. Great review.

    Also wanted to let you know I gave you a blog award. http://minaburrows.blogspot.com/2011/09/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by =)