Monday, June 18, 2012

Early Review: Stalking the Others by Jess Haines

Stalking the Others
Author: Jess Haines
Release Date: July 3, 2012
Publisher: Kensington
H&W Investigations Book #4
ISBN:   1420124021
ISBN13: 9781420124026
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Review Copy Source: Author


Vampires, werewolves, mages–the Others are very real, and wreaking havoc in Shiarra Waynest’s life. But now, she’s returning the favor…

Once, she was one of the good guys–or as close as a New York P.I. can get. Then Shiarra Waynest was drawn into the world of the Others. Every faction has its own loyalties and agenda. And Shia’s recent betrayal by her ex-boyfriend means that she may be on the verge of becoming a rogue werewolf at the next full moon.

Of course, with all the threats against her, Shia’s not sure she’ll live long enough to find out. The enigmatic vampire Royce wants her back in his clutches, as do two powerful werewolf packs, along with the police. Instead of going into hiding, Shia is enlisting the aid of her enchanted hunter’s belt and every dirty P.I. trick she knows. If she’s going down, she’ll take out as many of her enemies as she can–and hope that in the process, she keeps whatever humanity she has left…

**MINOR SPOILER ALERT!!**

STALKING THE OTHERS isn't my favorite of the series but was still a fantastic addition the series and great read with some nice development. Shiarra was not in a happy place for a good portion of the book. She is angry and wants revenge. Surprisingly it comes to light that the belt that has helped Shia out of many dangerous situations ends up being not so good for her or her psyche.

Why wasnt it my favorite of the series? Well, there was a lot of lead up for what I was hoping was Chaz's demise only for him to be still alive at the end, It was disappointing. On the other hand Royce and Shiarra FINALLY progress in their "relationship" woot woot and I'm dying for book 5. Just like the previous books in the series there is tons of action and dangerous situations. Shia is constantly on the move. The relationship with her family still isn't fixed and that was a super big sad point for Shia throughout the book. I missed some of my fave characters but the characters that were involved were as always well rounded and full of development.


If your new to H&W Investigations I would definitely not recommend jumping into book 4 without reading the others. There is way to much back story and awesomeness to be found in books 1-3. I love the characters, I love the world, I love the writing and I love the story lines. Jess Haines will continue to be a must buy author for my bookshelf.


I gave it 4/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I think you should have given a spoiler alert about the belt and Chaz. While a lot of details weren't given, it will definitely affect how I read the book although the belt comment didn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by =)